First experience with EasyEDA / JLCPCB

All electronic design tools and software such as KiCad, Eagle, EasyEDA and others have their place. Libraries and tricks for PCB routing software.
madias

First experience with EasyEDA / JLCPCB

Post by madias » Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am

Ok, this is a short feedback because I ordered my first PCB done with EasyEDA via JLCPCB:

EasyEDA:
Pros:
Also as online editor available - nearly no installation (just two downloads: program and autorouter for offline use) (I used Kicad in the past...)
very easy to use for small projects
excellent libraries with a big user community: Many of those "china xyz modules" (like displays, RF-modules) are available as shematic and/or footprint.

JLCPCB:
One click upload from EasyEDA
Really cheap.
Extreme fast production/delivery via DHL. (5 working days to Austria)
Excellent quality.

In my opinion, the interaction of software and production is more than successful and a new standard in PCB software and production.

Just4Fun
IDE: Arduino 1.8.5
Core: Roger's
Board: Custom Maple mini

Re: First experience with EasyEDA / JLCPCB

Post by Just4Fun » Thu May 09, 2019 6:05 pm

I've used JLCPCB too and it seems a good service. In this moment it is the cheapest for my country (Italy) using the "registered air mail" shipping.

Using Kicad, it is the only service I know that requires to set "Include extended (X2) attributes" for gerber generation (but probably they produce the PCB anyway if you don't set that...). The odd thing is that if you generate gerbers files with that option, "others" services reject the file... (they don't like X2 enabled...) :shock:
Last edited by Just4Fun on Fri May 10, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoomx
IDE: 1.8.8
Core: Roger & STM official
Board: Bluepill, Maple mini

Post by zoomx » Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Tanks for sharing!

wanders
IDE: Arduino
Board: Bluepill, Arduino Mega 2560, LPC14u11, RPi V3a

Post by wanders » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:27 am

I haven't done the routing stuff (yet), but I did successfully do SPICE simulation on a small photodiode sensor circuit that I was working on, and EasyEDA/SPICE worked very well. Quite easy to pick up.

wanders

Post by wanders » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:23 pm

FOLLOW UP:

EasyEDA changed their site within the past week or so, and now their SPICE no longer works for me. I was using some hand-crafted models of photodiodes, but their new system is very buggy. So I bit the bullet and downloaded the free version of OrCAD, part of Cadence's industry standard EDA suite. It has a steep learning curve, but you can definitely trust the answers that it spits out. I actually recommend OrCAD - it is totally comprehensive, and it has a great library of devices.

Sorry to be a bit off-topic. But at least it's a post to this forum, which seems to be in limbo, awaiting an outcome between ST Micro and Roger. I hope that all is resolved soon.

mrburnette
Core: Any
Board: Blue, MM, Black

Post by mrburnette » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:38 pm

wanders wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:23 pm
So I bit the bullet and downloaded the free version of OrCAD, part of Cadence's industry standard EDA suite. It has a steep learning curve, but you can definitely trust the answers that it spits out....
Ummmm.
So, SPICE is great ... but, every tool is a bit different and one could waste a lifetime just learning this stuff. While not as powerful, some web-stuff actually does a fair job to get stuff roughed in the mind before a physical prototype.

http://falstad.com/circuit/

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/ ... s+Members/

http://www.excelunusual.com

For me, the prototyping is the fun... I get to use my test equipment, my vintage, still workie HP-67, and lab supplies.

Ray

Squonk42
IDE: Arduino, Sloeber, Emacs
Core: Roger's, STM official, bare metal
Board: All

Post by Squonk42 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:08 pm

wanders wrote:
EasyEDA changed their site within the past week or so, and now their SPICE no longer works for me. I was using some hand-crafted models of photodiodes, but their new system is very buggy.
This is normal for Cloud-based "products" :mrgreen: Always going forward (?), no way to freeze things to a known-working version.
wanders wrote:
So I bit the bullet and downloaded the free version of OrCAD, part of Cadence's industry standard EDA suite. It has a steep learning curve, but you can definitely trust the answers that it spits out. I actually recommend OrCAD - it is totally comprehensive, and it has a great library of devices.
From https://www.orcad.com/sites/orcad/files ... limits.pdf:
  • OrCAD Capture Lite is limited to 75 nets, 60 parts, 1000 parts in the database, 100 pins / part.
  • OrCAD PCB Editor Lite is limited to 50 components and 100 nets.
My last design has 91 nets, 207 parts, 433 parts in the database and a part with 128 pins, so not for me.
wanders wrote:
Sorry to be a bit off-topic. But at least it's a post to this forum, which seems to be in limbo, awaiting an outcome between ST Micro and Roger. I hope that all is resolved soon.
Yup, plus the usual summer torpor :D

wanders

Post by wanders » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 am

Squonk42 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:08 pm
From https://www.orcad.com/sites/orcad/files ... limits.pdf:
  • OrCAD Capture Lite is limited to 75 nets, 60 parts, 1000 parts in the database, 100 pins / part.
  • OrCAD PCB Editor Lite is limited to 50 components and 100 nets.
My last design has 91 nets, 207 parts, 433 parts in the database and a part with 128 pins, so not for me.
I was doing a small SPICE simulation, a dozen parts and nets or thereabouts, so it worked just fine for me. I wasn't interested in the full schematic capture - PCB flow (yet).

Squonk42 , what is your workflow for PCBs? I read the STM32F405 "blue pill" thread (and of course noted your significant contributions), but at the time I was more interested in the board and not the flow...

Squonk42
IDE: Arduino, Sloeber, Emacs
Core: Roger's, STM official, bare metal
Board: All

Post by Squonk42 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 pm

I used many ECAD packages, and Altium is my preferred one. But unfortunately, it is not at ll hacker-friendly as it doesn't provide a free version, even feature-limited.

So I am juggling between EagleCAD 7.7.0 and KiCAD 5.1.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, as KiCAD is not able to replace EagleCAD complely: try to define a decent component with a mechanical outline without ANY serious available drawing editor in KiCAD :x And KiCAD's part management is just plain stupid, not counting for the confusing names for the various entities (symbols, footprints, etc.), that came from bad translation from French (I am French!), which is now more or less straightened up.

racemaniac
IDE: Visual studio + Visual GDB
Core: Cube MX
Board: All + custom

Post by racemaniac » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Squonk42 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 pm
I used many ECAD packages, and Altium is my preferred one. But unfortunately, it is not at ll hacker-friendly as it doesn't provide a free version, even feature-limited.

So I am juggling between EagleCAD 7.7.0 and KiCAD 5.1.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, as KiCAD is not able to replace EagleCAD complely: try to define a decent component with a mechanical outline without ANY serious available drawing editor in KiCAD :x And KiCAD's part management is just plain stupid, not counting for the confusing names for the various entities (symbols, footprints, etc.), that came from bad translation from French (I am French!), which is now more or less straightened up.
You may be interested in this: https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeCAD/commen ... tegration/
Haven't tried it myself yet, but might be useful :).