Free IDE for Blue Pill with debugging via ST-Link

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
magicsmokelost
IDE: Arduino
Board: Bluepill

Free IDE for Blue Pill with debugging via ST-Link

Post by magicsmokelost » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:12 am

I'd like to move beyond Arduino IDE into something more "Pro" that has code completion, macros and debugging, etc.

This is for Blue Pill and maybe STM32F407 later if it's not too difficult. I can program using a ST-Link clone and I also have a Jlink V9.

I use Eclipse for java and do mostly like it, but I'm not married to the idea of using Eclipse if it's hard to set up. I'm just a hobbyist so I'd like the IDE I use to be free.

Any suggestions on what IDE options are out there, or does anyone know a good site with comparisons between the different possibilities?

Vassilis
Answers: 2
IDE: Arduino 1.8.9
Core: Roger, STM official
Board: Bluepill, Maple mini, STM32F4xx

Re: Free IDE for Blue Pill with debugging via ST-Link

Post by Vassilis » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 am

The Arduino Pro IDE looks promising, but it is still in the Alpha version

If you want a real Pro IDE, you can use STM32CubeIDE
-Vassilis Serasidis

racemaniac
IDE: Visual studio + Visual GDB
Core: Cube MX
Board: All + custom

Post by racemaniac » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 am

It's not free, but i'm very happy with Visual Studio Community Edition (free) + VisualGDB (80€).
It really helped me properly debugging on the bluepill, and was very easy to set up. It also has awesome features like during debugging being able to easily inspect all known registers, being able to have a look at the decompiled assembly while debugging, ...

It's not free, but worth considering. There is a free trial i think, give it a try when you try other things, and see if it's worth the 80€ for you :).

stevestrong
IDE: Arduino 1.8.8, Sloeber
Core: Libmaple
Board: Bluepill, Generic F4VET6 black & mini

Post by stevestrong » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:07 am

magicsmokelost wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:12 am
I use Eclipse for java and do mostly like it, but I'm not married to the idea of using Eclipse if it's hard to set up.
Hard to set up?
Where did you get this information from?
Search for Sloeber.

ag123
IDE: eclipse, arduino 1.8.5
Core: Roger's
Board: Maple mini, Bluepill

Post by ag123 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:45 am

eclipse works almost out of the box, u'd just need to set up the tool chain properly.
and like Steve mentioned using Sloeber is even better.
the real win with IDE like eclipse is code completion and reference jump, drilling down into functions called and cross-reference is much easier in eclipse

i think these days there are other alternatives, even microsoft released visual studio code but i've not explored that in depth, but there are some favorable comments about it even in *Linux* !

madias

Post by madias » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Ok, I tried Slober and it's very difficult to import exiting projects with many tabs, because of lack of documentation. So I'll try PlatformIO first, but i miss something:
How to install Rogers Core without JSON?
I got
Could not install platform
PIO Core Call Error: "PlatformManager: Installing Arduino_STM32_19_10_10\r\n\n\nError: Could not find one of 'platform.json' manifest files in the package"
So I need to install "offline" cores from the Arduino "hardware" folder , because I've changed things on Rogers Core.

Edit: Ok, I found this:
https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/p ... uino-cores

Maybe I'm a bit oldschool, but I spit on all those prebuild "online only" solutions, they are more complicated than necessary.