The Core of my problems, IDE's and alternative workflows

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
darkspr1te
IDE: Geany, Arduino, notepad++
Core: rogers core
Board: Nucleo64, Blackpill, pic16,pic32, arduino avr

The Core of my problems, IDE's and alternative workflows

Post by darkspr1te » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 am

So after watching a u-tube video on using MS visual C+platformio or Atom+platformio I decided to check them out,
I must say that the environment(s) feels more low level dev friendly yet overwhelming at the same time , nothing close to the quick bash out a app of the arduino environment.
After finally getting a basic blink app going it got me thinking about other stm "cores" and the ide's that support them, example is CubeMX config system +your own text editor+command line makefile.

Where am i going with this, well I'am wondering things like which has the lowest footprint for the final file, which produces a better app at the end of the day for one purpose or another, the following list is just some of the questions i have asked myself and seen asked elsewhere ,
1. speed of final compiled program
2. compiled footprint (example including unused code, libs)
3. ease of use (from installation to general production/usage)
4. Searchable online/offline support /documentation
5. portability of project & code base
6. Debug support (example issue like included gdb not compiled with -tui support or no in ide breakpoints controls)
7. Board/platform support
8. Suitability for novice introduction/training both formal and casual
9. perceived popularity
10 OS support and cross platform compatibility
11. Underlying core (Maple/libcm3/cmsis etc)
12. ease of user expansion (eg adding a un-supported board or library)
13.Workflow complexity

So I am throwing this out there as a sort of side chat and opinion poll of sorts with the end goal being to provide a Wiki for
new and old coders alike a way of looking up what they need or finding support for something not provided within their current platform/os/ide/core/chip
I understand with improvements that some answer will quickly become out of date or irrelevant , but it's still worth covering.

So while the thread will be a mixture of opinion+fact I will do my best to compile the facts in to easy to read formats , plus learn a little along the way.
So I open the floor to you, And thankyou in advance.

darkspr1te

mrburnette
Answers: 1
IDE: Arduino
Core: Any
Board: Blue, MM, Black

Re: The Core of my problems, IDE's and alternative workflows

Post by mrburnette » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:30 am

darkspr1te wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 am
So after watching a u-tube video on using MS visual C+platformio or Atom+platformio I decided to check them out,
After finally getting a basic blink app going it got me thinking about other stm "cores" and the ide's that support them, example is CubeMX config system +your own text editor+command line makefile.
Where am i going with this, well I'am wondering things like which has the lowest footprint for the final file, which produces a better app at the end of the day.
I understand with improvements that some answer will quickly become out of date or irrelevant , but it's still worth covering.
Wow ... sounds like the equivalence of 'ending world hunger.'

IMO, such pondering is a waste of gray-matter cycles. Professional programmers in a corporate world are provided with tool-sets and most situations are not permitted to work with non-approved tools. Often, these professionals will utilize similar tools for hobby purposes. Self-learned and non-professionals most often use tools which they like; they may start with Arduino and never venture away. Or maybe they learn Visual Studio and like that. Of maybe they are just a personality that like to hop from tool to tool for bragging rights.
UNIX/Linux knowledgeable programmers may just work with make at the terminal interface.

Now, what quality of code that is produced by an IDE, is going to be based upon the underlying compiler & linker and the IDE configuration of "switches" which are passed to the compiler. Some IDEs are heavily configurable with options. With the ArduinoIDE, these options are in .txt files. The Arduino build process.

In the old forum, everyone had an opinion, heck, I probably have two:
https://stm32duinoforum.com/forum/viewforum_f_41.html

Ray

darkspr1te
IDE: Geany, Arduino, notepad++
Core: rogers core
Board: Nucleo64, Blackpill, pic16,pic32, arduino avr

Post by darkspr1te » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Not world hunger, Warp drive, that has to be my thing I swear :lol:
Thanks for the reply and I see from your link you were not kidding about that, I had not seen that before , could have saved myself a lot typing.

Many thanks for the links, both are quite helpful.

darkspr1te

Andy2No
IDE: Arduino 1.8.9 & 1.8.3
Core: STM official, MightyCore

Post by Andy2No » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:44 am

Here's an odd suggestion (possibly only for AVRs and PICs though):

mack
IDE: Arduino 188
Core: Roger (BluePill),StevStrong (F407 Black)
Board: BluePill,F407 Black

Post by mack » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:32 am

I use visual studio for C# and that's great.
But for microcontrollers, I prefer a platform that's portable. So I stick with Arduino IDE in portable mode. It does the job - most of the time.